Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Thing #16: Organizational Chaos

Accumulating information and using it wisely when it comes to a "start page" is, as this blog itself is titled, all relative. Meaning, how much is too much? I've been using iGoogle as a start page for the last year or so. At first, I felt compelled to add all sorts of gadgets, widgets and real-time applications. It just seemed natural. But it also appeared overly busy after a while, and I soon realized I didn't need all that stuff. So I followed a started streamlining it and lightened the load. I avoided all the "new and improved" additions that Google was bombarding me with. I enjoy iGoogle very much: I just don't need bells and whistles to entertain me.

The online calendar, 30 boxes, is terrific. I've started putting that to use since looking into it last month. I see a future with it in my classroom. As do I see StickyNotes and LifeHacker as effective tools as a teacher. It's all about experimenting and implementation - albeit wisely. I've talked to teachers who felt the need to surround themselves with digital online resources, only to find themselves overwhelmed and realizing that sometimes, less is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment